Improve user experience & boost performance with Core Web Vitals. Understand key metrics, reduce page load times, optimize layout & interactivity for the best results.
Importance of Site Performance
With more and more users relying on websites for their daily activities, the performance of your website plays an important role in delivering a great user experience. High performance websites not only attract more users, but can also help increase conversions and promote brand loyalty.
Google has recently implemented a new algorithm to measure website performance and rank them according to performance criteria called Core Web Vitals. Core Web Vitals are metrics that measure and reflect the user experience on a web page. As such, having a good understanding of these metrics and how to optimize a page's performance is essential for any UX Designer or Product Owner.
Understanding Core Web Vitals
Core Web Vitals assess the performance of a page based on 3 key metrics:
- Largest Contentful Paint (LCP): This measures the loading performance of a page’s content. To ensure good LCP scores, all images, videos, and other content should be optimized for loading speed.
- First Input Delay (FID): This measures how long it takes for the page to interact with the user's input. To ensure good FID scores, make sure that users don't have to wait too long for actions to be registered.
- Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS): This measures the visual stability of a page’s layout. To ensure good CLS scores, use proper sizing and loading strategies.
Optimizing Your Digital Product for Core Web Vitals
When optimizing a page's performance for Core Web Vitals, there are a few things that Product Owners and UX Designers should keep in mind:
- Reduce page load times: Minimize page loading time by optimizing images, videos, and other content, as this will help you achieve better LCP scores.
- Improve interactivity: Make sure that users can interact with the page as quickly as possible. This will help achieve better FID scores.
- Optimize page layout: Make sure that page layouts are properly optimized to avoid layout shifts. This will help achieve better CLS scores.
Optimizing a page's performance for Core Web Vitals is essential for any UX Designer or Product Owner. By understanding the Core Web Vitals metrics and how to optimize a page's performance, you will be able to deliver a great user experience and improve your site's overall performance.